I'm from Belgium and I have a Belgian drivers license (for just over 1 year).

In December I will be going to the Philippines. Do I need an international driver's license or can I use my Belgian one?


1 Answer 1


LTO is the government body in Philippines responsible for licensing drivers and registering vehicles. See the official LTO FAQ:

  1. I have a valid foreign driver’s license. Can I use it in the Philippines?

Yes, 90 days from date of arrival.

  1. Can I convert my foreign driver’s license into Philippine driver’s license?

Yes. If valid, no exams. If expired subject to written / practical exams. Click the link for more information. (Non-Professional Driver's License, Professional Driver's License)

This is also not an easy country to drive, due to poor road quality and huge traffic jams in big cities.

  • Getting a local licence used to be quite easy but it seems to be getting harder. The last time I tried, they wanted a residence permit. I gave up and used my UK licence. At best, you will spend a long time in the office and leave with an unimpressive receipt. The actual licence may arrive months later.
    – badjohn
    Commented Aug 8, 2018 at 7:01
  • Following the non-professional link shows a requirement that you have been there for one month and will stay at least one year. See qualification 5. So, not quite residence but not just a holiday either. I get leave to stay a year without visa as my wife is Filipino. That did not seem to be sufficient.
    – badjohn
    Commented Aug 8, 2018 at 7:06
  • @badjohn I had the same problem, but solved it
    – Yeti
    Commented Apr 29, 2019 at 23:46
  • Please, check this question and accepted answer for well-researched information on this topic.
    – Yeti
    Commented Sep 24, 2019 at 11:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .