I'm from Belgium and I have a Belgian drivers license (for just over 1 year).

In December I will be going to the Philippines. Do I need an international driver's license or can I use my Belgian one?


LTO is the government body in Philippines responsible for licensing drivers and registering vehicles. See the official LTO FAQ:

  1. I have a valid foreign driver’s license. Can I use it in the Philippines?

Yes, 90 days from date of arrival.

  1. Can I convert my foreign driver’s license into Philippine driver’s license?

Yes. If valid, no exams. If expired subject to written / practical exams. Click the link for more information. (Non-Professional Driver's License, Professional Driver's License)

This is also not an easy country to drive, due to poor road quality and huge traffic jams in big cities.

  • Getting a local licence used to be quite easy but it seems to be getting harder. The last time I tried, they wanted a residence permit. I gave up and used my UK licence. At best, you will spend a long time in the office and leave with an unimpressive receipt. The actual licence may arrive months later.
    – badjohn
    Aug 8 '18 at 7:01
  • Following the non-professional link shows a requirement that you have been there for one month and will stay at least one year. See qualification 5. So, not quite residence but not just a holiday either. I get leave to stay a year without visa as my wife is Filipino. That did not seem to be sufficient.
    – badjohn
    Aug 8 '18 at 7:06
  • @badjohn I had the same problem, but solved it
    – Yeti
    Apr 29 '19 at 23:46
  • Please, check this question and accepted answer for well-researched information on this topic.
    – Yeti
    Sep 24 '19 at 11:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.