I'm from Croatia, and I can enter any Schengen country with my ID (I don't need a visa for it). The thing is that I used all my 90 days. (I didn't go over 90 days).

There is a high possibility that I would need to enter a Schengen country again for a job interview.

Can I enter the Schengen country, and leave on the same day? Will it count as +1 day towards my time spent in the Schengen area?

If so, is there a way I can extend it? Present work papers, etc.

  • 3
    If you're a Croatian citizen, then you're also an EU citizen. As such, you have the right to travel to and be present in any EU country as much as you wish. The 90/180 limit only applies to third-country (i. e. non-EU, non-EEA, non-Swiss) nationals. – ach Aug 7 '18 at 9:12
  • 3
    @Traveller That covers a variety of types of British passports that are not British citizenship. British citizens have free movement, others do not. – Zach Lipton Aug 7 '18 at 10:10
  • 4
    Citizens of non-Schengen EU countries can stay in Schengen countries as long as they want unless there is a limitation for new EU countries. UK citizens can live in Spain for instance. I am not sure about Croatia. – Willeke Aug 7 '18 at 10:10
  • 1
    @Dino Schengen zone is about lack of border control, but that's an absolutely separate question from one's freedoms and rights. EU citizens may be present in the EU where they want and as much as they want - that's a freedom granted by the EU treaty. – ach Aug 7 '18 at 10:10
  • 1
    @HenningMakholm oh, OK, so we're passionately agreeing that the OP has the right to do what (s)he proposes to do, yes? – MadHatter Aug 7 '18 at 10:30

As a Croatian national, you are an EU citizen, and your rights with regard to free movement are currently governed by the citizens' rights directive. This explicitly provides that EU (strictly, EEA) citizens can work in countries other than their own, which explicitly includes "looking for work for a reasonable amount of time". You should be fine to travel to any other EEA country for a job interview on your Croatian passport; Schengen limits do not apply to you, as they don't to a full citizen of any EEA member nation.

  • I just called the Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to confirm that. I've been told that unfortunately Schengen limit does apply to me since Croatia is not in Schengen, despite being part of the EEA. – Dino Aug 7 '18 at 10:50
  • Yes I am 100% Croatian citizen. I was born there, and I live there – Dino Aug 7 '18 at 10:55
  • 1
    God forbid I claim to know more about this than your government (or at least its call centre) but you might want to read the text of the directive, in Croatian, for yourself, and see what you think. Enough rubbish is talked in my country, including by my government and its high officers of state, about the rights and obligations of EU membership, that I don't necessarily trust them to get it right. – MadHatter Aug 7 '18 at 10:59
  • 1
    @Dino You don't need any papers. This 3 month limit only applies to residence. There are no conditions on simply traveling. – ach Aug 7 '18 at 11:33
  • 2
    @Dino The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is talking nonsense. – Richard Beasley Aug 7 '18 at 11:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.