So this can get a bit tricky.

I have a leave to enter visa currently on my US passport, which is now being renewed and can take up to 8 weeks to process. The passport is not with me as it had to be sent to the Home Office.

However, I am a dual Japanese citizen. I need to go back to Japan just for four days in 4 weeks, but when I come back to the UK, should I tell border control? A Japanese citizen can stay for 90 days on a tourist visa, I believe, and I have plans to go to Europe within four weeks of coming back to the UK, which means I can prove I will not overstay on the tourist visa.

So my questions are:

  • Would this be legal given that I will not be entering with a passport that I have a valid visa on?
  • And should I tell this to the UK Border Force that I have another passport with a visa that is in the process of being renewed, since I know they will ask questions.

Thank you!

closed as unclear what you're asking by Mark Mayo May 16 at 1:40

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Visa-free visitors are generally admitted for six months, not 90 days (like visitors with a visitor visa). By "leave to enter" do you mean indefinite leave to enter? – phoog Aug 4 '18 at 13:43
  • OP has not returned to clarify. Putting on hold. – Mark Mayo May 16 at 1:40