I need to provide proof of address. So the best way is to hire a house or a flat.

I have a UK tourist visa. Am I eligible to rent a house while I am in UK, so that I can get a proof of address?

I will not live in the UK, and will go back to my country. I am just trying to rent to get a proof of of address. So I am looking for a short-term rental if possible as a tourist.

  • 4
    "Rent" is a complicated word. Are you talking about a very short term let, or something longer term? Note that if the property is going to be your "main home", the landlord has a duty to check your "right to rent" which isn't going to extend outside the validity period of your visa assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/… – origimbo Aug 2 '18 at 13:31
  • 5
    Where are you being asked to provide proof? Application for a UK Standard Visitor visa does not require that and, if you already have been issued a visa (I have a UK tourist visa), then who is asking for this information? – Giorgio Aug 2 '18 at 13:38
  • 7
    It sounds like you want to provide a proof of address for a place you don't legitimately live, seeing as you only want to be there long enough to obtain proof. While I sympathize, I suspect that whoever wants the address proof would not consider that acceptable. – Zach Lipton Aug 2 '18 at 17:17
  • 2
    @Roser Which company wants this proof of address? Is this a company you work for that wants to know if you are living in the UK? Is it a British company? – DJClayworth Aug 2 '18 at 18:01
  • 1
    If you’re looking for proof of address for eg a bank account or a credit/store card, or a supplier of goods on credit, you’ll typically need to have lived there for a specific minimum period and/or be on the local voters roll or council record. – Traveller Aug 2 '18 at 18:30

Under UK law, you may be able to find a private landlord willing to offer a short-term rental. Landlords are required to make a right-to-rent check, verifying an individual's status in the country. Under such circumstances, they're likely to require full payment for the entirety of the rental, as well as a security deposit (an amount equal to one or more month's rent).

Reference: UK.Gov Check your tenant's right to rent

  • Is there any time limits on tenancy? Because my tourist visa covers only 6 month, is it possible to hire less than 6 months legally? – Roser Sep 12 '18 at 3:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.