I have applied for a family permit (wife is Italian, I am Brazilian), as my wife accepted a job offer in the UK. My question is, do we need to travel together, or can I go before her to set up a place for us and our kids? And, do we need to enter the UK by an airport pr can I use a train or ferry from Europe?

1 Answer 1


You cannot go before her. She can go before you, or you can go together. See https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eligibility:

The EEA citizen you’re joining must either:

  • be in the UK already
  • be travelling with you to the UK within 6 months of the date of your application

You can enter the UK through any border control point.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.