I will be driving in Norway. Do I need to equip my car with an international vehicle registration code sticker, if I have an EU license plate?

International vehicle registration code:

International vehicle registration code for Czech Republic

EU license plate for the Czech Republic:

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


No, you don't need an international vehicle registration code since the EU plate already has this affixed on it with the European Flag.

You should however have all of the cars documentations with you, such as; insurance, registration etc. just in case should you be pulled over by the respective authorities who may want to see paper work.

  • 1
    @Tor-EinarJarnbjo Are you sure? IMO you are required to always have proof of insurance with you even when you drive in the country where the vehicle is registered. Jul 31, 2018 at 14:46
  • 1
    @DmitryGrigoryev You bring nothing in your comment, which contradicts what I am saying. I would assume that in most EEA countries, insurance companies and vehicle registration authorities exchange insurance documentation electronically without the car owner having to care. Jul 31, 2018 at 16:22
  • 1
    @Dmitry Grigoryev Not necessarily, it depends on local regulations. In some countries you don't need to have that proof always with you because the police will be able to look it up if they need it. (Yes, legally, not just in practice.)
    – Gábor
    Jul 31, 2018 at 16:28
  • 1
    @Tor-EinarJarnbjo I was (and am) confused because your statement "green card is not useful in Norway" and "Norway is part of green card association" don't seem to match. That's why I asked.
    – glglgl
    Aug 1, 2018 at 7:04
  • 1
    @glglgl The green card is only needed if you travel to another non-EEA member state of the green card association. Starting in Norway, you must in most directions drive several thousand km to leave the EEA. Most Norwegians will never have taken their car outside the EEA, will never have needed a green card and therefore also not know that one exists. Norwegian insurance companies will only issue a green card if the holder explicitely requests one. Aug 1, 2018 at 11:08

Norway and the Czech Republic have both ratified the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. As you have the country sign (CZ) integrated in your plates, you don't need an extra sticker.

Article 20
Every motor vehicle shall in addition to the registration number display at the back, inscribed on a plate or on the vehicle itself, the distinguishing sign of the place of registration of this vehicle. This sign shall indicate either a State or a territory which constitutes a distinct unit from the point of view of registration. In the case of a motor vehicle drawing one or more trailers this sign shall also be displayed at the back of the single trailer or of the last trailer.

  • 3
    The Vienna Convention mandates an oval sticker (in Annex 3), but within the EU that requirement has been modified to the EU-standard number plate. An EU plate is not conformant outside the EU, and non-EU vehicles (or EU vehicles without an EU plate) require a Convention sticker within the EU. Jul 31, 2018 at 17:16
  • 1
    @AndrewLeach so what does it mean? Norway is not part of EU.
    – jnovacho
    Aug 1, 2018 at 6:13
  • 1
    Norway use the same format of plates as the EU but his own flag on the blue stripe instead of the EU-Flag. So there will be no problems for you. As I haven't seen any plates with an oval country sign, I assume that this applies only for the stickers.
    – Dirty-flow
    Aug 1, 2018 at 7:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .