My wife and son have European passports but I don't. I have a residence card issued by Spain. Can I travel to the UK with my family without applying for a visa?

  • 3
    Is your wife a citizen of Spain, the UK, or some other EU/EEA country? – phoog Jul 31 '18 at 8:53
  • 2
    What passport do you hold? – Nick Jul 31 '18 at 11:20
  • 1
    What phoog said, or Swiss too. – BritishSam Jul 31 '18 at 13:10
  • @BritishSam it's complicated enough without bringing Switzerland into it! But the point is well taken. – phoog Jul 31 '18 at 21:31

If it's an Article 10 or Article 20 card for family members of an EU/Schengen citizen, then you only need that and your passport.

Otherwise, you need an EEA Family Permit, a free visa.

| improve this answer | |

It is clear that a residence card is not a passport. Your nationality defines whether you need a visa to enter the UK or not. You can check it here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa Your residence card issued by Spain gives you the right to apply for a UK visa (if you need one) from Spain.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    "residence card" is a term of art in EU law that denotes a card issued under article 10 or 20 of the free movement directive. If the question uses the term correctly then the card does exempt its bearer from the visa requirement, subject to certain additional conditions. – phoog Jul 31 '18 at 21:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.