My wife and son have European passports but I don't. I have a residence card issued by Spain. Can I travel to the UK with my family without applying for a visa?

  • 3
    Is your wife a citizen of Spain, the UK, or some other EU/EEA country?
    – phoog
    Jul 31, 2018 at 8:53
  • 2
    What passport do you hold?
    – Nick
    Jul 31, 2018 at 11:20
  • 1
    What phoog said, or Swiss too.
    – BritishSam
    Jul 31, 2018 at 13:10
  • @BritishSam it's complicated enough without bringing Switzerland into it! But the point is well taken.
    – phoog
    Jul 31, 2018 at 21:31

2 Answers 2


If it's an Article 10 or Article 20 card for family members of an EU/Schengen citizen, then you only need that and your passport.

Otherwise, you need an EEA Family Permit, a free visa.


It is clear that a residence card is not a passport. Your nationality defines whether you need a visa to enter the UK or not. You can check it here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa Your residence card issued by Spain gives you the right to apply for a UK visa (if you need one) from Spain.

  • 1
    "residence card" is a term of art in EU law that denotes a card issued under article 10 or 20 of the free movement directive. If the question uses the term correctly then the card does exempt its bearer from the visa requirement, subject to certain additional conditions.
    – phoog
    Jul 31, 2018 at 21:34

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .