I visited the US this year March - June on Visa Waiver, total 88 days. During this period, I met someone who is now my girlfriend and we totally fell in love with each other. I returned back to Europe and then flew to the US again. Of course, they denied entry because it was too close from previous leave, and I didn't have a return ticket (I know, I should have).

I co-own a company in the UK, so I have strong ties to the UK.

I visited the embassy in London to get a tourist Visa with an honest reason. The interview took a long time; they probably were getting information about my entry denial, but finally they told me I should obtain a K1 Fiancé visa instead, so my Visa was denied. The problem is, she is legally still married, but separated and based on Louisiana law, her divorce will not be final until April next year. I want to visit her over Christmas and I wonder if it makes sense to try a Tourist Visa again in November. What more can I do for it? I tried to convince them that I want to do everything legally, but that didn't make any change (but I didn't tell them about divorce yet).

  • 1
    you are allowed to visit your fiancée, but as someone who intends to marry an American you are considered very high risk to just stay there. I know someone who visited her American fiancée from Canada several times without a Fiancée visa and without lying at the border (though she was advised not to wear her engagement ring and to use the word boyfriend rather than fiancée.) Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 19:18
  • @KateGregory point is that I am not able to legally enter the country now, as I was turned back with visa waiver (it's not valid anymore) and they denied my Visa. That's why I asked this question.
    – tomis
    Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 19:21
  • I didn't answer, but it's my opinion that you are not this person's fiancée (because she is not free to marry) and therefore the person who told you to get a fiancée visa is wrong. A simple tourist visa might be possible. But all I can do is tell you about someone else from a don't-need-a-visa country who visited a boyfriend in the US several times before marrying him. Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 19:33
  • 1
    Co-owning a company in the U.K. doesn’t necessarily show strong ties to U.K. and non immigrant intent in US, especially if you can spend 88 days away from it. What other ties do you have? Why can’t your gf visit you instead?
    – Traveller
    Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 19:50
  • @KateGregory I entered too early and haven't return ticket, so I can't use visa waiver anymore. Also, we can be engaged as this is just oral promise to marry and there is no legal duties or rights from this. At least this is how I found it out on google. Should I not include her as Fiancee in Visa form?
    – tomis
    Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 20:32

1 Answer 1


There is nothing more you can do. You almost certainly will be bounced if you apply for a visitor visa again because in your situation it is difficult to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent. You've been denied entry and then refused a visitors visa in rapid succession. The fat lady has sung on visitors visas for a long while.

She can visit you in UK or you can meet in Canada.

  • 3
    Hopefully she is not in a state where her husband can file a lawsuit against you for alienation of affection Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 21:57
  • Fortunately, husband is fine. Plus, LA is not in there.
    – tomis
    Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 23:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .