My dad's staying at a hotel in the US, and forwarded me the picture beneath. What is it?

enter image description here

closed as off-topic by Greg Hewgill, David Richerby, Newton, Ali Awan, Danubian Sailor Aug 6 '18 at 10:33

  • This question does not appear to be about traveling within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    Is this even on topic? – Mixxiphoid Jul 26 '18 at 8:35
  • 9
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic – Giorgio Jul 26 '18 at 12:10

It is an infrared movement sensor.

It will switch the light on when it sees movement in the room.
There is an explicit touch-switch in the lower area, if you tap it, it toggles the light on/off.

  • 8
    They are mostly used to reduce air conditioning/heating when the room is vacant. – user71659 Jul 26 '18 at 1:35
  • It's full of these in Romania in many public institutions. – StefanS Jul 26 '18 at 9:08
  • 6
    @StefanS - I'd say these are common worldwide! – Conrad Jul 26 '18 at 9:46
  • 2
    I normally see these as part of a burglar alarm system. – AndyT Jul 26 '18 at 10:10
  • 1
    (1) there is no mechanical switch. You need tap it once quickly. (2) it's connected to the power in the back. Note that it could be broken. – Aganju Jul 27 '18 at 3:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.