For example, there usually are counters for citizens / PR and counters for foreigners. What exactly does Incheon airport have?

Per the suggestion by the community, “immigration entry point” could be used to describe the thing I would like to talk about.

  • 2
    Do you mean immigration or customs?
    – Richard
    Jul 25, 2018 at 10:50
  • 2
    Passport control = immigration; luggage control = customs. Custom = habit. Please pick the right one.
    – user67108
    Jul 25, 2018 at 10:55
  • @Richard Oh I’m still not familiar using English to talk about traveling stuffs. Let me explain with a bit more words. In this case, an “entry point” is an entrance where an officier checks the traveler’s documents and the traveler may be admitted into the country when requirements are met (e.g. appropriate visa or appropriate use of visa-free traveling policies); there are usually a series of entry points at an airport. I think immigration is a process of retrieving immigrating visas and/or naturalization, which is not related to this question. Jul 25, 2018 at 10:58
  • @dda Thank you for the info. I have updated the question. Jul 25, 2018 at 11:00
  • Immigration is also the government body that checks entry and exit of travelers. That's the word you were looking for.
    – user67108
    Jul 25, 2018 at 11:00

1 Answer 1


There are three types of counters in Incheon (and most other entry points in Korea, like Gimpo airport, Jeju airport, etc):

  1. Manned counters for Koreans.
  2. Manned counters for foreigners (residents and visitors).
  3. Electronic gates for Koreans, foreign residents and registered visitors.

For the latter, a few countries and regions have signed a reciprocal agreement with South Korea. The US, Germany, Hong Kong, and a couple of others I think. You need to register with Korean Immigration, online, pass once through a manned counter, and then register physically on departure. After which you can use the electronic gates.

Korea doesn't stamp passports anymore. At manned counters for foreigners, on entry, the Immigration officer gives you a small piece of paper recording your personal details, with date of entry, and date by which you have to leave.

  • Isn't there a gate for diplomats and crews?
    – Blaszard
    Jul 25, 2018 at 19:41
  • @Blaszard Indeed.
    – user67108
    Jul 25, 2018 at 20:13
  • It seems that the electronic gates are available to any foreign residents that have registered: ses.go.kr/ses/SesObjectR_en.ses
    – Taladris
    Aug 7, 2018 at 8:13
  • @dda No German allowed in SES - but Macao and Taiwan as of August 2018.
    – revi
    Aug 8, 2018 at 16:36

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.