I moved to Canada from Syria with my family in 2004. I was 10 years old at the time. I am a Canadian citizen and have not visited Syria once since departure. I wish to attend a science conference in the US, would I have problems traveling to the US even though I'm a Canadian citizen? I have seen mixed responses since the travel ban, so I am not sure. Should I call the embassy?


1 Answer 1


You can travel to the US as can any other Canadian.

The latest version of the travel ban, a proclamation of September 24, 2017, explicitly does not apply to

(iv) any dual national of a country designated under section 2 of this proclamation when the individual is traveling on a passport issued by a non-designated country;

(Section 3(b)(iv))

A similar exception exists in executive order 13780, of March 7, 2017.

See also CBP's FAQ concerning the executive order, before the proclamation was issued:

  1. What about dual citizens?

    Travelers will be processed according to the travel document they present. For example, if the traveler presents a Canadian passport, the Canadian passport will be used to process that traveler for entry.

The similar FAQ relating to the proclamation also quotes the proclamation's section 3 in answering the question "Who does the new Proclamation apply to?"

  • 4
    It's also worth mentioning that, although dual nationals of Iran, Iraq, Sudan, and Syria, are barred from using the Visa Waiver Program even when using a VWP country passport, Canada is not part of the VWP, and dual nationality of those countries does not affect the ability of Canadians to visit the US without a visa.
    – user102008
    Jul 25, 2018 at 4:28

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .