Can I travel within the EU with only a Romanian ID card (I'm a citizen of Romania)?

I will start crossing the EU from the Poland-Ukraine border, then I'll go to Hungary, the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria. I don't have a passport, just an ID card. Will it be easy to cross all thse borders (including the border between Ukraine and Poland) with an ID card only (non-biometric)?

1 Answer 1


Romanians can't enter Ukraine with an ID card; only Ukrainian and Turkish citizens can.

So you have to go to Poland through Hungary and Slovakia.

EDIT: as a dual Romanian-Ukrainian citizen, you can use your Romanian ID to enter the Schengen Area (in your case through Poland)

  • He could be starting from Ukraine.
    – Tomas By
    Jul 22, 2018 at 9:31
  • @TomasBy They Need a passport to leave Ukraine as well.
    – Crazydre
    Jul 22, 2018 at 10:12
  • @coke I've got Ukrainian citizenship, that's alright with Ukraine. I just want to know if I can enter Poland from Ukraine border with only Romanian ID Card. Without any other documents.
    – toptrader
    Aug 7, 2018 at 15:17
  • 1
    @toptrader Yes, you can use your Romanian ID for that, no problem. You show your Ukrainian passport or ID on the Ukrainian side, then the Romanian ID on the Polish side.
    – Crazydre
    Aug 7, 2018 at 18:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .