My girlfriend and I (we are Croatian citizens) are going to visit Bucharest, Romania and we plan to stay there for 1 week. We will be traveling from Croatia to Budapest, Hungary first and from there we will take a plane to Bucharest.

Can we do this with our ID cards from Croatia? I did some research and we should be able (from what I found). Since this will be our first flight I just wanted to be sure since she and I don't have valid passports (they expired).

  • Are you Croatian citizens? – phoog Jul 20 '18 at 12:12
  • @phoog yes we are. Forgot to add that – MePo Jul 20 '18 at 12:13

If you are Croatian citizens then yes, you can do this. A valid national ID card is sufficient for any EU citizen to enter any other EU country.

This is specified in directive 2004/38/EC. Article 5(1) says:

Article 5

Right of entry

  1. Without prejudice to the provisions on travel documents applicable to national border controls, Member States shall grant Union citizens leave to enter their territory with a valid identity card or passport and shall grant family members who are not nationals of a Member State leave to enter their territory with a valid passport.

    No entry visa or equivalent formality may be imposed on Union citizens.

(emphasis added)

| improve this answer | |
  • This is my first time posting here and also traveling with a plane (maybe i'm just concerned over nothing) I just wanted to be sure. Thank you for the help – MePo Jul 20 '18 at 12:18
  • 2
    @MePo it is better to be safe than sorry. Welcome to Travel! – phoog Jul 20 '18 at 12:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.