I have an Italian carta di soggiorno. What countries can I travel to with just this card? Can I travel to Edinburgh or Ireland? I'm told that if you have a carta di soggiorno to stay long term in the EU, you don’t need a visa to travel to Ireland.


Your Italian residence permit allows you to travel within the Schengen area and to the Schengen-candidate EU members (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania). It does not allow you to travel to the United Kingdom (where Edinburgh is), nor to Ireland.

There is an exception to this that applies only if the following are true:

  • The card states that it was issued because you are the family member of a European Union citizen.
  • You are traveling with your EU-citizen family member or joining him or her.
  • 1
    Some countries also allow visa-free entry for holders of Schengen residence permit (f.e. Georgia and Albania). – Neusser Jul 16 '18 at 7:06

With an ordinary Italian residence Permit (together with a passport), regardless of your nationality, you can visit (at least) Schengen countries, Albania, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Dominican Republic, Georgia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Romania and Serbia.

It does not let you visit the UK or Ireland.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.