I am actually quite confused, I have a Hungarian permanent residence but I live outside europe and carry a non-European citizenship. I can enter any european country without needing a visa though. Does that mean I am eligible to get an interrail or is the eurail my only choice?

1 Answer 1


Interrail passes are available to European citizens and residents. As a resident of Hungary, you are therefore entitled to travel with an Interrail pass.

Be aware though, that your Hungarian residence permit alone, does not allow you to enter all other European countries without a visa if you with your citizenship otherwise would have needed one.

  • Are you sure that the OP won't be allowed to travel to other countries without a visa? helpers.hu/visa-free-travel-countries-hungary "The Hungarian resident permit is as good as a golden visa to Europe, since a third country national in possession of a valid resident permit is eligible for entering and staying in the territory of the Schengen Member States without possessing a visa for a period not exceeding 90 days within 180 days."
    – user58558
    Jul 3, 2018 at 15:45
  • 2
    @greatone There are about 20 countries in Europe, which are not part of the Schengen area and to which a Hungarian residence permit does not necessarily grant access. Jul 3, 2018 at 16:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.