This question already has an answer here:

I am traveling to Jamaica via a US port. Since Jamaica has on arrival visa for Indian citizens, do I need a transit visa for the USA? My next flight from the USA is 4 hours later.

marked as duplicate by Newton, Ali Awan, Peter M, CGCampbell, Thorsten S. Jul 2 '18 at 16:22

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


You are an Indian national travelling to Jamaica. You are making a transfer in the USA. To transit in the US, you need a C-1 visa.

If you are a non-US citizen and are merely passing through the United States while transiting to another foreign country, a C-1 transit visa is an appropriate non-immigrant visa. If you are traveling with your family, each person regardless of age, even children and babies listed in parents' passports, needs to apply for a separate C-1 Visa. Persons from the countries that qualify for the Visa Waiver program can transit to the US without a transit visa.

An immigration officer at the port of entry can admit a person holding a C-1 transit visa for the duration determined by him/her, but for a maximum duration of 29 days. You must leave the U.S. on the proposed flight or ship of departure, or within 29 days, whichever is earlier. You must pass in immediate and continuous transit through the U.S.

A transit visa is particularly very useful if you need to change airports in the U.S. Even if you don't need to change the airport, if there is a long delay before you can board your flight to the final destination, instead of waiting in the airport, you can get out and tour the nearby places, visit friends or family members, or do shopping.

However, even if you are planning to stay in the U.S. even for a day, you should apply for the B1/B2 visa.

It seems strange that your only choice is a visa which allows you to leave the airport, but okay. I would advise that you avoid transferring in the US if you don't want to deal with the hassle of a visa application and an interview.

Info obtained from here.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.