This question already has an answer here:

I applied for a US visa from a country other than my own(I am an Indian and I currently work in Japan). My application was put on administrative processing and its been 2 months. I still have no clue as to how long it will take them to process my application. But my Japanese visa will expire soon but I cannot travel to India since my passport is with the US embassy in Tokyo. Can I get my passport back and then submit it at a US embassy in India without affecting my application ?

marked as duplicate by Giorgio, Jim MacKenzie, Newton, gmauch, Mark Mayo Aug 14 '18 at 23:23

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    You can get your passport back, but this will cancel your application and you'll need to make a new one in India. – jpatokal Jun 20 '18 at 11:17
  • Is it just your visa, or is your approved period of stay (在留期間) also ending? – xuq01 Jun 20 '18 at 13:19
  • My residence permit is valid till next year but my visa is connected to my employment here and as it ends, so does my visa. – cowboyspiegel Jun 21 '18 at 2:59