I'm a USA citizen with a six-month visa for France. Can I now move to Italy and extend my Schengen visa in Italy?

| improve this question | | | | |
  • 3
    what category of visa do you currently hold? D? – nkjt Jun 18 '18 at 9:19
  • It's possible in theory but unlikely. In addition to the category of your current visa, the answer depends on the basis of your potential extension in Italy. – phoog Jun 18 '18 at 13:07
  • I have a D visa. The extension is to retire in Italy. So if I extend my D visa in France I can move to Italy because its part of the Schengen? – GiFi-06300 Jun 19 '18 at 16:06
  • As a US citizen, you can stay visa free in the Schengen area for 90 days out of every 180 days. You need a national (D) visa for any longer stay.
  • Days spent in the nation which granted your D visa do not count against the 90-day limit. If you were in France for most of the last six months, you probably have some visa-free days left.
  • You cannot extend your French visa in Italy. You can in principle apply for a new Italian D visa. For details on that, ask in Expatriates Stack Exchange.
| improve this answer | | | | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.