I currently have a visa to travel to China that was issued in Switzerland. But I've realized that I may be better off starting (and ending) my journey in the UK.

Is this something that is allowed, or is there a need to travel from the country of visa issue?

Note that this question has already been asked regarding a Schengen visa. But since my question is for a China visa, I thought that it isn't an exact duplicate.

  • 1
    While China could, in principle, be different, the answers to the questions you link explain that countries are very unlikely to care about this, both because people want to make multi-country trips and because having to make a connection in a third country is extremely common -- there might not even be any direct flights. – David Richerby Jun 15 '18 at 13:37
  • 1
    Anecdotally I can tell you I got my Chinese visa at the consulate in Chicago and entered by train from Mongolia. If I remember correctly the immigration form asks where your visa was issued, but other than that they don't care. – ChicagoRedSox Jun 15 '18 at 21:01

In general no country cares where you start your journey from.

Exceptions to this principle are very rare - for example if you were claiming to be escaping from the oppressive regime of country X but were transiting through country X.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 1
    For one thing, it's routine to change planes and even if you originated in Switzerland, your immediate entry could be a flight from the UK (Germany, etc.). – Andrew Lazarus Jun 15 '18 at 17:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.