I am an Indian national, currently working at a software company. I will be leaving it on August 15. On August 16, I'll be traveling to Kyoto for a summer school where I'll stay until September 2. Generally, a Japanese visa asks for NOC from the employer. Given that I will be unemployed by the time I travel, will that raise suspicion? How do I work around this?

I'll be going to London on September 15 for a Master's degree. Can I show proof of that for return?

  • It's OK. Do show that (your admissions letter, your enrollment letter etc). Show proof of finances. Show a return ticket. But then we can't guarantee anything because we don't work for the Japanese MoFA :-)
    – xuq01
    Commented Jun 10, 2018 at 9:26

1 Answer 1


The short-term visa to Japan for Indian nationals no longer requires evidence of employment:


(A stay of up to 90 days for touruism, business, attending conference, visiting friends, etc., that does not include paid activities.)

(1) TOURIST VISA - Required Documents

Self-arranged visit

  1. Application with Photo;
  2. Passport;
  3. Travel Booking (Travel itinerary and Hotel Booking);
  4. Document to prove ability to pay for travel expenses:
    -- (a) Latest Income Tax Return;
    -- (b) Bank Statements of last 6 months

Supporting evidence would include documents from the 2-week program in Japan, the London program, and flight tickets to your next destination.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .