I hope to seek some advice on marrying my partner who is from South Africa. We have been together 2 years and she has visited me twice in the UK where I am born and lived my whole life. Am I allowed to marry her now whilst she is here but she is only on a visitor visa and I want to surprise her.

  • See also travel.stackexchange.com/q/112043/6188
    – Peter M
    Commented May 31, 2018 at 18:32
  • Beware that same-sex marriage across countries might put both of you in a difficult position in the case of divorce: law.stackexchange.com/q/26719/9236
    – SJuan76
    Commented May 31, 2018 at 19:06
  • 1
    @SJuan76 While interesting I don't think that link is relevant here as the OP is a UK citizen and wants to get married in the UK. That link referred to the catch-22 situation of the marriage not being recognized where they live and not being residents of where they were married.
    – Peter M
    Commented May 31, 2018 at 19:51
  • Thanks for your responses. I would like to take her to a register office and marry. Just a bit tricky that she is here in the UK on a visitor visa so I don’t want any problems for her to occur after she leaves.
    – user78576
    Commented May 31, 2018 at 20:07

1 Answer 1


No. Marrying, registering a civil partnership, or giving notice of marriage or civil partnership is not permitted for those visiting the UK on a Standard Visitor visa https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa Edit: this Can I marry in the UK while on a standard visitor visa? provides a huge amount of detail on the topic

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .