I was wondering, if I wanted to extend my stay for an extra 6 days, how would this happen? Some info, I'm a British citizen traveling to America with an ESTA, I'm in the state of Texas, and I've stayed currently for 25 days, I was wanting to stay for 37 now.

  • 11
    Normally, you can stay for 3 months with an ESTA/VWP. Why do you think something needs to be extended? What does the stamp in your passport say regarding how long you can stay?
    – mdd
    May 31 '18 at 17:29
  • My passport stamp doesn't say anything about going back, just that I was accepted on the 4th, and for the extension, it was because my girlfriend is going to be giving a speach and I wanted to be there for it
    – Cam
    May 31 '18 at 17:36
  • 6
    @Cam if the immigration officer did not write a date in your passport, you can look up your "admit until" date at the link in my answer. Did the officer not write "WT" on the stamp?
    – phoog
    May 31 '18 at 17:39
  • 2
    @Fattie marrying a UK citizen does not by itself make someone eligible for a UK passport. To get that, one has to naturalize in the UK, a prerequisite for which is living in the UK for a number of years. Getting married could make immigrating to the UK somewhat easier, but it's also possible for unmarried partners to immigrate to the UK.
    – phoog
    Jun 1 '18 at 15:33
  • 1
    Extension...to what? Did you ever tell any authorities you were going to be staying exactly 25 days?
    – bye
    Jun 1 '18 at 15:37

If you traveled with ESTA then you've been admitted under the visa waiver program (VWP). One condition of the VWP is that you cannot extend your stay or change your status. The literal answer to your question, therefore, is "no, you cannot."

You must therefore leave by the date in your I-94 record, which you can look up at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov. That date should also be written on your admission stamp, in your passport.

VWP visitors are normally admitted for 90 days. Since you're planning to spend a little more than a month in the US, it is unclear why you think this would require extending your stay. If you indicated a shorter stay when you arrived, there's no need to notify the US government of your change in plans. If your period of admission was curtailed for some reason, then you cannot change it.

  • 1
    No, I'm not staying for another 37, I'm staying for a total of 37
    – Cam
    May 31 '18 at 17:41
  • 3
    @Cam either the company that booked your tickets or directly with the airline. You can ask a separate question about that if there isn't one already.
    – phoog
    May 31 '18 at 17:43
  • 20
    Be prepared that moving a flight might cost you an arm and a leg. Because they can.
    – Aganju
    May 31 '18 at 20:18
  • 1
    Partly: when you booked initially months ahead, you were booking into deeply discounted seats (technically price buckets). But when you change late in the game those discounted seats/buckets on your new flight have already been sold or withdrawn, most seats have been sold, and you are stuck with leftovers at the highest price tier. May 31 '18 at 21:23
  • 9
    @Cam The last time I found myself in a position of changing a return date we simply threw away the tickets and bought new ones. That's the sort of cost you're likely looking at. Jun 1 '18 at 15:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.