So I'm a dual citizen. One is an EU country so it’s under the VWP, and the other is not. I have a valid us tourist visa on the non-EU passport but it's about to expire and at the time. Because of the country's situation is very hard to renew the passport.

So my question is if I have a valid visa on an expired passport without being able to renew it, should I just simply apply and use the ESTA on the EU passport and disregard the visa on the other.

P.S. - I’ve heard that if you have a valid visa you shouldn’t even apply for the ESTA and I know people that have been troubled during immigration because of this.

  • Is your non-VWP passport about to expire or the visa in it?
    – phoog
    Commented May 29, 2018 at 16:14
  • The non-VWP passport will soon expire but the visa in it will still be valid after that for some years.
    – Traveler
    Commented May 29, 2018 at 16:16

1 Answer 1


You can travel under the VWP with your VWP-eligible passport even though you have a valid visa in your non-VWP passport. This is true whether the non-VWP passport is valid or expired.

I am unfortunately unable to find an authoritative reference to support this, however. There are some similar questions here that lead to this conclusion, however:

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .