I will apply for a Canadian ETA since I have an American visa and I'm eligible to. In this process, will I need to submit my passport to a Canadian embassy or will the ETA be digitally linked to it?

Second question: My visa will expire in ~5 months, so I will apply a new one. Should I wait to have my new passport to apply for my eTA? Is the eTA linked to the passport and becomes invalid after a passport renewal?

Useful information:I have Brazilian citizenship.

  • 1
    By American visa, do you mean that you have a green card?
    – blackbird
    May 28, 2018 at 19:55
  • @blackbird No, I mean a standard tourism visa
    – Max
    May 29, 2018 at 12:27

1 Answer 1


Your eTA is electronically linked to your passport (that's the "e": "electronic), so you will not need to submit your passport. Note that you must enter Canada by air in this circumstance; you'll need a visitor visa to enter "by car, bus, train, or boat, including a cruise ship."

However, an eTA "is valid for up to five (5) years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first." If your passport is expiring soon, you may want to renew that first, or you'll have to get a new eTA again after.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .