I have one year Polish work permit visa, valid for one year.

Can I go to other European countries (such as Germany, Belgium, Portugal, France) because of the work permit visa issued by Poland?

  • 1
    what kind of permit is it? is it the national visa with permission to work or a residence permit? May 23 '18 at 13:34
  • 1
    "Work permit visa" doesn't sound like official terminology, so it is a bit unclear exactly what it is you have. Can you post a picture of it with your personal information blotted out? May 23 '18 at 13:54
  • @ThisIsMyName it shouldn't matter. National visas and residence permits have the same effect infer the Schengen codes.
    – phoog
    May 23 '18 at 18:44
  • @phoog tell this to an Indian friend of mine who was employed at Polish university as a researcher and couldn't leave Poland, coz his visa was just a national Polish visa with a permission to work. May 23 '18 at 19:51
  • @ThisIsMyName who told your friend he couldn't leave Poland? (My previous comment should have said "under" rather than "infer.")
    – phoog
    May 24 '18 at 2:26

If you have a valid resident permit for a Schengen country you are free to travel to other Schengen countries.

If your visa is from a "Schengen area" country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well.

europa.eu - Travel documents for non-EU nationals

  • 3
    However, I think some member states issue "work permits" separately from "residence permits", and in that case a work permit itself does not count as a residence permit. May 23 '18 at 13:52
  • @HenningMakholm Would the quote from europa.eu still include work permits as they will have needed a visa to get the work permit?
    – BritishSam
    May 23 '18 at 14:02
  • The problem would be someone with a work permit whose presence is authorized by a short-stay visa or under the Annex II exemption, because they would be more likely to run afoul of the 90/180 rule. @HenningMakholm is that what you were thinking of, or was it something else?
    – phoog
    May 23 '18 at 18:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.