I have one year Polish work permit visa, valid for one year.

Can I go to other European countries (such as Germany, Belgium, Portugal, France) because of the work permit visa issued by Poland?

  • 1
    what kind of permit is it? is it the national visa with permission to work or a residence permit? May 23, 2018 at 13:34
  • 1
    "Work permit visa" doesn't sound like official terminology, so it is a bit unclear exactly what it is you have. Can you post a picture of it with your personal information blotted out? May 23, 2018 at 13:54
  • @ThisIsMyName it shouldn't matter. National visas and residence permits have the same effect infer the Schengen codes.
    – phoog
    May 23, 2018 at 18:44
  • @phoog tell this to an Indian friend of mine who was employed at Polish university as a researcher and couldn't leave Poland, coz his visa was just a national Polish visa with a permission to work. May 23, 2018 at 19:51
  • @ThisIsMyName who told your friend he couldn't leave Poland? (My previous comment should have said "under" rather than "infer.")
    – phoog
    May 24, 2018 at 2:26

1 Answer 1


If you have a valid resident permit for a Schengen country you are free to travel to other Schengen countries.

If your visa is from a "Schengen area" country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well.

europa.eu - Travel documents for non-EU nationals

  • 3
    However, I think some member states issue "work permits" separately from "residence permits", and in that case a work permit itself does not count as a residence permit. May 23, 2018 at 13:52
  • @HenningMakholm Would the quote from europa.eu still include work permits as they will have needed a visa to get the work permit?
    – BritishSam
    May 23, 2018 at 14:02
  • The problem would be someone with a work permit whose presence is authorized by a short-stay visa or under the Annex II exemption, because they would be more likely to run afoul of the 90/180 rule. @HenningMakholm is that what you were thinking of, or was it something else?
    – phoog
    May 23, 2018 at 18:47

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .