A Hungarian and Belgian are currently visiting my work in Australia, and they're unable to drive as their licenses aren't in English. In theory an IDP would work, but it's unclear if there's any way for them to get one while in Australia?

  • 1
    The process of obtaining an IDP varies significantly from country to country. It would be more effective to ask this on a per country basis as oppposed to as a catch-all question. Commented May 17, 2018 at 5:14
  • 2
    @JacobHorbulyk I literally said "while in Australia"?
    – Mark Mayo
    Commented May 17, 2018 at 5:15
  • 2
    I’m referring to country which issues drivers licenses (and the corresponding IDP). Your question mentions coworkers from Belgium and Hungary but is also asked very generically. The answer for Belgium may be radically different than the answer for Hungary. Commented May 17, 2018 at 5:18
  • I don't think this needs to be closed. The question is "Can they get an IDP while abroad?" and, according to the answer, the answer is uniformly "no". Commented May 17, 2018 at 12:33
  • @DavidRicherby the answer is yes for Canada & the US. Commented May 17, 2018 at 13:06

1 Answer 1


According to https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/how-to-apply/ to obtain an IDP, you must apply before you travel in the same country that issued you a national driving license.

  • So - to answer the OP's question: "No".
    – brhans
    Commented May 17, 2018 at 11:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .