my wife and I are going on holiday to Menorca soon and we were thinking of renting a car. The problem is, she can drive and has a valid drivers license from non-EU country but doesn't have a credit card. I, on the other hand, have a credit card to my name but cannot drive. Most rental car companies that I'm finding online require that the credit card is on the name of the main driver. As you can see this is a big problem for us as I can't rent because I don't have a driver's license and she can't do it because she doesn't have a credit card. Is there any way around this? We've travelled to Brazil for 3 months in the past and we're able to rent a car for the duration using my credit card and her driver's license so we were surprised when we found we couldn't do it in Europe.

  • 6
    Can you ask your credit card issuer to issue another card on your account in your wife's name? Many card issuers in the US, at least, will do that.
    – phoog
    Commented May 16, 2018 at 18:09
  • Thanks, I've just applied to add her to my card. I didn't realise you could do that.
    – Miguel M.
    Commented May 16, 2018 at 18:18
  • @phoog You should put that as an answer, because it's a good solution. Commented May 16, 2018 at 19:08
  • I have successfully done this in Germany travelling with a colleague. The booking (and deposit) were in his name on a corporate card, but his licence had been temporarily revoked and I was driving. However I had a credit card withme that I could have used if necessary, otherwise I would have been worried about it Commented May 17, 2018 at 15:52

1 Answer 1


Is there any way around this?

Many card issuers will issue a second card on your account in your wife's name. This should satisfy the rental agency.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .