I'm an Indian citizen. I married a German citizen and now I have a aufenthaltstitel(A plastic card) with the right to work.

Am I allowed to travel into France by Train? Or do I need a visa. I have an Indian passport.

Where would I call or check to confirm or ask about this?

Last month I still had a fiktionsbescheinigung and had trouble with french border police.

2 Answers 2


The German Aufenthaltstitel is a residence permit for the purpose of the Schengen codes (and probably for every other purpose). As such, it allows you to travel to other Schengen countries. See, for example, Travel documents for non-EU nationals:

If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa. You may need a national visa to visit non-Schengen countries.

As the last sentence implies, your residence permit does not help you enter the UK or Ireland. France, however, should be no problem.


France will consider you a resident of German visiting. Keep your passport and Aufenthaltstitel with you at all times and then its no problem.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .