My mother-in-law, who is an Indian citizen, is currently in the US, staying with my sister-in-law. She has a Green Card. My wife and I live in the UK and she is visiting us for a couple of months. How do we get a travel insurance for her that takes into account her pre-existing medical conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes)?

Searching for travel insurance in the UK seems to give only options that require the applicant be a UK resident (which my mil is not). Searching for travel insurance in India requires her to travel from India (which she is not).

I am unable to find a good site/provider that gives options for this scenario. Do you know any? All help will be appreciated!

Thanks, Sridhar

  • 1
    You need to get her travel insurance from the USA which will cover her travels. She's a US resident. There are many insurance companies out there which will give you quotes. – user 56513 May 13 '18 at 10:40
  • In a weird case of search problems, I seem to get only results for US citizens or sites in the UK. Even if I explicitly move from google.co.uk to google.com, the results are the same. Is there a travel insurance comparison site in the US that you can share? – sridharraman May 13 '18 at 10:46
  • I just got several quotes from reputable companies like AIG and they have plans for people with preexisting conditions. insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/… – user 56513 May 13 '18 at 11:02
  • 1
    Did you not get travel insurance 'traveling from India' when she left for the USA? – user16259 May 13 '18 at 12:08
  • 2
    You should check her US coverage to see if it is valid in the UK. It is not uncommon for US plans to have worldwide coverage. You should also consider that plans that appear to be only for US citizens may actually cover permanent residents (read the fine print), but the people who write the promotional text for the web site may have failed to contemplate that possibility. – phoog May 13 '18 at 13:38