I'm a Peruvian citizen with a US permanent residence card (green card). I entered Mexico by car, using my expired passport. Can I travel back to the US by airplane with the passport which expired a year ago? I came to Mexico because my wife is Mexican and has US citizenship.

  • Is your permanent residence card a US permanent residence card (also known as a green card)?
    – phoog
    May 8, 2018 at 1:15
  • Yes i have a u.s. permanent residence card
    – Luis
    May 8, 2018 at 2:11
  • With that card, you do not need a passport to enter the US. I don't know about Mexico's exit requirements, if any.
    – phoog
    May 8, 2018 at 3:01

1 Answer 1


You do not need a passport to travel back to the US, but you will need a valid US Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) with you. If you've been out of the US for more than a year, you'll also need a Reentry Permit or Returning Resident Visa and may want to consult an immigration lawyer for assistance in making your case that you haven't abandoned permanent residency.

However, to fly to the US, you also need to satisfy the airline's requirements for identification. You'll need to confirm that they will allow you to check-in using only a permanent residency card. Otherwise, you'll have to contact the Peruvian Embassy or Consulate in Mexico to get your passport renewed. You could also cross the land border using only your permanent resident card.

  • Im planing on staying here in mexico just for a week (since my wife already Bought our ticket) but going back on plane with my wife and Daughter, thank you for your help
    – Luis
    May 8, 2018 at 1:51
  • Im just really worry or being denied the entry o get deported to my country of origin
    – Luis
    May 8, 2018 at 2:00
  • 2
    @Luis as a US permanent resident you cannot be denied entry or deported unless you voluntarily relinquish your permanent resident status or have it removed by a judge. The latter can happen only after an extended absence or if you do something to trigger the statutory grounds of deportability such as committing certain crimes.
    – phoog
    May 8, 2018 at 3:03
  • or if POTUS makes a executive order and you are unlucky to catch its first day.
    – Aganju
    May 8, 2018 at 22:43
  • @Aganju That depends on whether an illegal act falls under the definition of "can" in use here.
    – phoog
    May 9, 2018 at 13:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .