I'm from Spain. My spouse is Mongolian. We want to travel to Europe. Also, we're waiting for his citizenship card (it takes 2 years).

Does he need a visa to go to Europe? After he gets the Spanish resident card, does he still need a visa to travel to Spain, or he can go without? I tried to call the embassy but I'm still confused and people give me different answers.

  • What is your husband’s nationality? – Traveller May 2 '18 at 9:37
  • Mongolia , i found this article: europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm and say Visa exemptions Your non-EU spouse, (grand)children or (grand)parents do not need to get a visa from the country they are travelling to if: They have a residence permit or visa from another country in the border-free Schengen area (see list below) and the country they are travelling to belongs to that area. So maybe with residence permit he dont need visa.. or he still need visa? – Luna Okaemono May 2 '18 at 10:10
  • Is the "citizenship card" you're waiting for a Mongolian document showing his Mongolian citizenship? Or has he been naturalized as a citizen of Spain? – Henning Makholm May 2 '18 at 12:02
  • No he have mongolian passport and he have soon the citizenship card – Luna Okaemono May 3 '18 at 6:40

The first thing you should do is register your marriage at the nearest Spanish embassy.

Your spouse does need a visa; however the visa should be expedited and granted to your spouse at a discounted cost.

Once your spouse is a permanent resident of Spain, they will not need a visa to travel to Spain.

  • we dont wont to get merried also in spain, his country is fine. So he can travel we no visa when he have resident card? We live abroad but we are doing a lot of trip for work in europe – Luna Okaemono May 3 '18 at 5:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.