I have ADHD, and for this I use stimulant medication (similar to Ritalin), which in New Zealand at least holds a class of restriction higher than regular prescribed medications (it requires a Ministry of Health special authority number, which is given by a psychiatrist).

I'm moving to Australia, and I've got a letter from my psychiatrist to give to Australian Customs.

But what I'm wondering is, if I'm flying between New Zealand and Australia regularly, am I going to need to declare my medication every time?


Kiwi here, I've moved to Australia. I fly back and forth reasonably regularly with prescription medication (heart, anxiety, other).

I don't take a letter for the meds, as long as they're in their prescription bottles (with your name) they're fine. Always declare them.

Upside: The 'declare' customs line is often shorter, and they almost always just wave you through.

Downside: Very occasionally you get taken aside for questioning (are the drugs for you? Do you have enough for your stay?), but that's the extent of it.

I've asked a couple of times and the customs officers have always said to declare the medication, both in Australian airports and New Zealand ones.

  • Good tip about the 'declare' line often being shorter. – Simon Pickup Jun 17 '18 at 19:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.