I am a US citizen. In November, I will be taking a cruise, which will have multiple stops at Vietnam ports. I have researched a lot on visas and it looks like I need a multiple-entry visa. Can someone confirm this and how does one obtain one? I really don't want to do Visa on Arrival (VoA) since it appears to be time-consuming. Also I will not be entering at any airport. The cruise is less than 2 weeks long. The cruise ship will not do it for us but did give us some names of visa companies.


If you are a US citizen traveling to Vietnam you can obtain a visa by any of the following 3 methods:

  1. You can apply ahead of time at a Vietnamese embassy. (Recommended)
  2. You can apply for an e-visa. However, the online service is for single entry only.
  3. You can get a visa on arrival though it seems you need a pre-approval for it which may cost more as it involves travel agencies.

The easiest for you would be to apply for a 1 month multiple entry visa at the Embassy in DC using any of the below methods.

You can apply in person if you can go all the way to DC. It's a walk-in process and no appointments are needed. Otherwise, you can apply by mail or by email; the processing time is 3 business days and you will get the visa via mail.

  • This answers how to get one, but it doesn't answer if it is necessary. – Roddy of the Frozen Peas May 3 '18 at 18:49
  • I thought it was a default understanding since the OP knows that it is required. And if you follow the first link it leads to a more information (travel.state.gov) that a visa is required. Even for the on-arrival visa, you need a preapproval as mentioned in the answer. – Newton May 3 '18 at 19:04
  • Well given that the actual question in the OP's post was "[c]an someone confirm this and how does one obtain one?" (where "this" referring to the multi-entry requirement), not really. – Roddy of the Frozen Peas May 3 '18 at 22:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.