I am applying for a Schengen (Visit of family or friends) Visa to the German Embassy. I plan to visit Freiburg, Germany where my brother is studying. I am an Indian Citizen.

  1. Can a letter from him suffice as a proof of accommodation for your entire stay in the Schengen area? I have copies of his resident permit and his passport.
  2. If not, then should I book a hotel for the duration and then cancel upon arrival?
  3. Can I apply for a multi-entry visa at one go to visit him again later this year? Do I need to provide flights/booking details for that as well when applying?

Thank you.

  • There's this little detail which country you are from. Assuming Kenneth = British, just bring your passport.
    – gnasher729
    Apr 11, 2018 at 21:37
  • @gnasher729 I am Indian and hence the question. Will edit it into the question. Thanks! Apr 13, 2018 at 14:01

1 Answer 1


It is typical that first-time applicants for a Schengen visa get single-entry visa, and only after some successful visits (no overstays, etc.) there will be multi-entry visa, unless the two entries are for one trip which crosses the Schengen borders twice. (e.g. France to UK to Germany).

Does your brother have sufficient living space for both of you, and is he allowed by his contract to let other people live there? If so, you need no hotel. You should always tell the truth in an application, since lies will make it less coherent.

  • Thank you for the response. I'll check if he is allowed by his contract to have people stay there. Apr 13, 2018 at 14:02

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .