If a non-EU is a resident (not permanent but eligible to work in UK) in the UK and he or she wants to frequently travel to Germany for business for a few months, what's the best way to do this?

Will a letter from the business in Germany suffice? What are the visa options if this were for a project lasting 3 to 6 months? Obviously the goal is to obtain some sort of multi entry visa.


  • After 91 days, it gets tricky. Possibly then, definitely at 183 days, you will become German resident & liable for texts there. Also, this might be better asked at expatriates.stackexchange.com Apr 6, 2018 at 12:30
  • 1
    @Mawg, I believe you made a small but significant typo. Taxes.
    – o.m.
    Apr 6, 2018 at 14:14
  • Yup, that's what I meant all right :-) Apr 6, 2018 at 14:17
  • It's a 3 month contract that may be renewed. What visa works if it's less than 90 days?
    – Muhammad
    Apr 6, 2018 at 18:22

1 Answer 1


Depending on what exactly you want to do in Germany, you might need a residence and work permit. Otherwise, you would apply for a C Schengen visa for the first visit and mention that more will follow.

Summarized, a C visa allows you to come to Germany and talk about work, you need a work permit to come to Germany and do work.

Usually first-time Schengen visa are single-entry visa with a duration for just one trip. After several applications without incidents like overstay, they give longer multi-entry visa. For an UK resident with a stable job, it would be relatively likely to get a multi-entry visa soon.

For residence permits, ask on Expatriates Stack Exchange.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.