I am residing in Düsseldorf, Germany on a 1-year work permit. I would like to sponsor my mother for a visit tourist visa for a 3-month period. What is the minimum amount of space I need to show to sponsor her? I couldn't find any online materials on the required space in my apartment.

  • AFAIK you don't need to show any amount of space at all. – Neusser Apr 5 '18 at 21:46
  • 1
    Do I need to show the amount of rooms? If so, will 1 room with living room or 1.5 room be enough? – AnOldSoul Apr 6 '18 at 7:07
  • Do you have the number of rooms in your rent contract? I think there's only the total area of your appartment. They might want to see your rent contract but only to know how much you pay for your rent in order to know whether you have enough money left after your regular expenses. – Neusser Apr 6 '18 at 7:29
  • Yes apparently they do have the number of rooms mentioned in the contract :( – AnOldSoul Apr 6 '18 at 7:33
  • You can come and ask them in your borough: duesseldorf.de/einwohnerangelegenheiten/kontakt.html – Neusser Apr 6 '18 at 7:33


Zu prüfen ist auch, ob ein ausreichender Wohnraum (§ 2 Absatz 4 AufenthG) für den Ausländer zur Verfügung steht. Ausreichender Wohnraum ist, unbeschadet landesrechtlicher Regelungen, stets vorhanden, wenn für jedes Familienmitglied über sechs Jahren zwölf Quadratmeter und für jedes Familienmitglied unter sechs Jahren zehn Quadratmeter Wohnfläche zur Verfügung stehen und Nebenräume (Küche, Bad; WC) in angemessenem Umfang mitbenutzt werden können. Das Vorhandensein ausreichenden Wohnraums kann durch Vorlage eines Mietvertrages oder eines Grundbuchauszuges belegt werden. Die Anforderungen an den Wohnraum sind aber im Verhältnis zur vorgesehenen Aufenthaltsdauer zu prüfen. Bei Kurz- und Besuchsaufenthalten ist eine Abklärung der Wohnraumverhältnisse des Verpflichtungsgebers grundsätzlich nicht erforderlich.

Emphasis mine.

Bold part one:

For every family member over 6 years of age - 12 square meters, and 10 sq. m. for those younger than 6.

Bold part two:

For short stays and visits a proof of sufficient living space is not generally required.


Ausreichender Wohnraum ist, unbeschadet landesrechtlicher Regelungen, stets vorhanden

My German might be rusty here, but I interpret this as meaning that if you have the 10/12 sq.m. per person, you have sufficient living space, but the requirements might be relaxed in some federal subjects of Germany.

In practice, I have never had to verify the footage of my apartment for getting visitor visas. I did have to do this to get a residence permit for my family.

Generally, proof of income is a far greater concern; if several people are resident at your place and are your dependents, inviting someone can become problematic.


The answer is that you need an amount of space that is appropriate to put your mother up for 3 months. That isn't going to be a fixed amount, but you need to show an amount that would be considered normal.

For example if you have an unoccupied guest bedroom that your mother could sleep in, a kitchen big enough to prepare meals for everyone in the house plus her, and space for a table where you can eat together, that's almost certainly going to be fine. If you are living in one room, where there is no space for a second bed, and no kitchen, that's almost certainly not going to be OK.

If your space available is towards the bottom end of that, and especially if you don't have a bedroom where your mother can sleep, you are going to have to explain how the living arrangements will work.

You are also going to need to show that your living arrangements allow for your mother to stay. For example, if you are renting an apartment showing that your landlord is OK with your mother staying with you for 3 months.

  • Thank you for the response @DJClayworth. If I have 30m2 room with a living room where I can put a sofa-come-bed it should be enough right? I am looking for an apartment now and am confused whether a 1 room apartment with a living room or 1.5 room apartment would be enough. Your advice on this will be much appreciated :) – AnOldSoul Apr 6 '18 at 6:56
  • From what I've seen, a Einzimmerwohnung (one room appartment, or studio) is fine. They don't care if your mom sleeps in your bed. 30sqm are fine for two people. – simbabque Apr 13 '18 at 16:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.