I have a USA visitor's visa in my maiden surname. My new passport displays my married surname. I do not have my original marriage certificate with me but I do have a certified copy. Will this be sufficient proof of name change/ will they accept a certified copy?

  • Doesn't your new (or old) passport have an annotation in it that says something about a name change? In some countries with a name change the old passport is cancelled and a note added on the last page indicating it was cancelled because a new passport has been issued in a different/married name. – user 56513 Apr 3 '18 at 17:54
  • No unfortunately there is not an annotation. That would have been even better. – user75785 Apr 4 '18 at 1:36

No, it is not enough.

I have no idea why someone has not answered such a simple question yet.

You can no longer use that visa after your name change, even if you carry the original marriage certificate with you.

I changed my name. Is my U.S. visa with my old name still valid?

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered name change, you will need to obtain a new passport. Once you have a new passport, the Department of State recommends that you apply for a new U.S. visa to make it easier for you to travel to and from the United States.

U.S. Department of State

Also read this excellent Q & A on state.gov/libraries.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy