I'm a 25 year old Uruguayan who will be living in Austria for 3 to 6 months. I have a European passport/nationality (Spanish).

I am in the process of getting health/travel insurance here, but all the insurance companies, have really economical plans up to 3 months, and then go completely nuts after that period.

I wanted to exhaust all other possibilities; is there any kind of insurance I could pay for that would cover medical costs in case of an incident?

I'm not sure if it is relevant but: I'm a student here in Uruguay, and I have family members living in Austria.

  • So you have a Uruguayan and a Spanish passport? – RoflcoptrException Dec 17 '12 at 20:26
  • @RoflcoptrException Yes, I am Uruguay, living in Uruguay, but I have a Spanish passport too for blood heritage. I'm both a Uruguayan and Spanish citizen. – Trufa Dec 17 '12 at 20:36
  • @RoflcoptrException I just checked, my Spanish passport says Born in Uruguay but the nationality states Spanish. – Trufa Dec 17 '12 at 20:39
  • Do you qualify for a Spanish EHIC? Or have you not spent enough time there to get one? – Gagravarr Dec 18 '12 at 0:52
  • 1
    An important factor will be your status in Austria. What are you planning to do there? – Relaxed Sep 24 '13 at 13:02

Try World Nomads. I plugged in your information and the quote came out to be ~400 Euros for 6 months for a Spanish resident. A Uruguayan resident would pay slightly more. 3 months would cost ~230 Euros. I use World Nomads every time I travel, but I've never had to make a claim. From the research I've done, mostly the Thorn Tree forum on Lonely Planet's website, they're pretty good at paying out claims.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.