I am planning to travel to Canada (Ottawa) from Mumbai. I have Canada immigrant visa (Permanent Residence). I haven't yet received the PR card, and my port of entry is Ottawa.

I have two options, 1. Travel to Ottawa via Toronto 2. Travel to Ottawa via London

I want to know whether I would require a transit visa for for 1st option? Because, I already have a Canadian immigrant visa!

Also, will I require a transit UK visa, if I select option 2? I checked the below website of UK govt.


Here it says the following exemption,


You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)

I believe in my case I don't require a transit visa. Can anyone confirm please?

  • In the first case your port of entry is not Ottawa but Toronto, and of course you don’t need an additional visa as you already have one for Canada... – jcaron Mar 29 '18 at 18:56
  • @jcaron: But my PR document says port of entry should be Ottawa. If this is the case, then i think i should opt for 2nd option. am i correct? – stack underflow Mar 29 '18 at 19:15
  • The UK government says you don't need a transit visa. There is nothing left to confirm! As for your port of entry, that means your first arrival city within Canada. So you should fly via London. – Michael Hampton Mar 29 '18 at 22:19
  • 1
    Could you expand on why you believe your immigrant visa restricts you to using a particular port of entry? Thatt sounds likely to be a misunderstanding of some sort. Please provide scans/pictures of relevant document, with your personal information blotted out. – hmakholm left over Monica Mar 29 '18 at 22:21
  • 3
    Voting to reopen, because the UK transit question certainly doesn't cover the OP's impression that his existing visa may not be valid for entering Canada at Toronto. – hmakholm left over Monica Mar 29 '18 at 22:23