I'll be travelling from Europe to Brazil (Rio). I would like to use this opportunity and see the Water Plant of Itaipu and the Waterfalls of Iguazú as a part of this visit.
Now, if it were in Europe or the US, I would fly to the nearest airport (in this case it's IGU) early in the morning, rent a car there, visit the two sites, get back to the airport and fly back. Possibly, I would spend a night somewhere near to make it less stressful.
However, I have never been to Latin America, I have never driven a car there, I have never crossed country boundaries 4 times in a day (Bra--Arg--Bra--Par--Bra).
So, what are my options and how difficult is this going to be? Especially, my questions are:
- How difficult is it to rent a car at Foz do Iguaçu International Airport (IGU) and drive it for the ~100 km in the three states?
- As a Czech/EU national, can I easily do the journey? (Concerning car rental, driving license, visas, ...)
- How much can you actually see of the Itaipú dam and of the Iguazú waterfalls? Are there any entrance fees?
- Will I manage things with zero knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese? (The closes I speak is French.)
- Or, are there travel agencies that offer this combo as a sightseeing tour?
Any help is appreciated!