I have a Braun electric toothbrush that has the two pin British shaving connector. What is the best means to charge it in Europe, specifically Germany?

  • 3
    The charger should be marked with an acceptable voltage range. What does it say? Mar 26 '18 at 2:41

Most UK to European plug adaptors have specially shaped Line and Neutral holes that will allow either a shaver or 13 Amp plug to be used in a standard European mains socket.

enter image description here


If you can't find a UK->EU adaptor that will take a shaver plug (as in the top answer), you could also use a combination of a standard UK shaver -> UK Type G adapter, then a UK to EU adapter. This is slightly less safe than using one single adapter, but much better than trying to force something into the wrong socket.


The safest way without a doubt is getting an EU charger. Same with laptop chargers -- just swap the IEC C7 AC cable ("figure eight") or IEC C5 ("mickey mouse) for a cable appropriate the local power socket. It doesn't get safer than that. Avoid plug converters whenever you can.


sometimes the "shaver socket" in Europe is slightly different than in UK (more narrow). Sometimes not. So it's a matter of luck.

If you want to use your toothbrush and the socket is different you can buy an extension cable and connect to a socket in the room with an adapter.

  • 2
    The dimensions of the UK plug are not compatible with the european socket and can damage the socket. The pins are 5.1mm diameter and the sockets are 4mm. The pins on the UK plug are 16.7mm apart compared with 19mm spacing on the european socket.
    – uɐɪ
    Mar 26 '18 at 11:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.