I am currently insured by my employer but I'm planning to quit and backpack for three months through Asia and Europe. I am relocating from Asia to the UK. At the end of my trip, I will be insured again under the NHS. I'd like to purchase travel insurance for this period. Does the fact that I have no "home" insurance matter?

Along these lines, is there a difference between a globally valid medical insurance and the travel insurance with worldwide coverage? The latter seems cheaper, which is a bit counterintuitive.

TL;DR I have no insurance but want to travel. Will just travel insurance suffice? I'm looking at a policy like this one - https://www.allianz-assistance.com.sg/media/documents/20170802-B2C-PW.pdf

Edit: To provide context, I'm an Indian citizen, legally resident in Singapore and insured here by my employer and moving to the UK for graduate school.

  • Assuming you're a UK citizen with a history of UK residence and can prove an intent to permanently return to the UK, you may be eligible for NHS coverage the moment you return to the UK - even if this is early as a result of emergency medical repatriation. However, the guidelines are extremely unclear and I have had no personal experience of trying to use the NHS in this situation. I recommend seeking expert advice, if you wanted to rely on that. NHS eligibility info here: gov.uk/government/publications/… – Wandering Chemist Mar 25 '18 at 15:18
  • 2
    "The latter seems cheaper, which is a bit counterintuitive" The travel insurance probably only covers emergency treatment and repatriation, the medical insurance probably covers non-emergency treatment too. – Wandering Chemist Mar 25 '18 at 15:23
  • It would be helpful to know which country you have current residence in and which ones you are a citizen as this determines which insurers will do business with you. – user16259 Mar 25 '18 at 16:22

You can’t use most common short-term travel insurances, even just for a lengthy trip like that they may not cover you even with a normal health insurance. There are providers for long-term travel insurance without a home or for long-term travel though, such as World Nomads. I haven’t used them since I use a Dutch one, but I heard they’re nice. You can easily google some alternatives to them too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.