I am a UK citizen, living in South Africa with my South African husband. I can travel to the UK with my UK passport, but my husband always has to apply for a visitor's visa, and pay for it. Is there some way we can get around this and possibly not pay the visa application fee?

  • I feel your pain, as I am the South African in the same situation you have, and user16259's answer is correct. Since we only travel to the UK at most once per year I just have to suck it up and pay the visa fee every time.The way the long-term visas are priced doesn't make sense for less than 2 or 3 trips per year unless you just want to avoid the hassle.
    – brhans
    Mar 20, 2018 at 12:05

1 Answer 1


Your husband is a visa national and so by definition needs a visa. Your least troublesome option is a longer duration visit visa. This would allow him to make multiple visits over several years on a single visa. The fee is higher than a short duration visa so the value of it depends on your travel habits.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .