I recently purchased a return ticket with QR from Johannesburg to Sydney via Doha. I made use of a promo deal via Skyscanner although the actual ticket was bought from Qatar Airlines.
I was due to fly on Fri 16 March 2018. Unfortunately 3 weeks ago I developed pneumonia and a pulmonary embolism and was hospitalised (with 9 days in ICU) until 6 March. The consulting pulmonologist and specialist physician both agree that due to the potential threat of further embolism I should not travel for at least 6 months.
QR have refused my refund request stating fare conditions although I cannot find any such clause. I would be happy with an extension to travel dates in order to postpone my travel once my doctors feel it is safe to fly.
How can I put forward my case?