I have read a few posts specifying that you are allowed to travel for a 90-day period of a 180-day visa.

I have a type D Schengen visa for 365 days. I have been in Italy for 5 months but have not travelled to another Schengen territory yet.

Would I still be able to travel to other countries or has my window of opportunity disappeared?

  • Have you applied for or received a permesso di soggiorno? – Michael Hampton Mar 16 '18 at 21:39

You can go to other Schengen countries; you haven't used up any of the time you have available to spend in those countries.

Anyone who holds a D visa of a Schengen country may travel to other Schengen countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Note the word other. Time spent in the country issuing the D visa does not count against the time allowed in other countries.

This was enacted by Regulation 265/2010, which amends the Schengen convention as follows (Article 1, paragraph 2):

(2) Article 21 is amended as follows:

(a) paragraph 1 is replaced by the following:

‘1. Aliens who hold valid residence permits issued by one of the Member States may, on the basis of that permit and a valid travel document, move freely for up to three months in any six-month period within the territories of the other Member States, provided that they fulfil the entry conditions referred to in Article 5(1)(a), (c) and (e) of Regulation (EC) No 562/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 March 2006 establishing a Community Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code) ( 20 ) and are not on the national list of alerts of the Member State concerned.

(b) the following paragraph is inserted after paragraph 2:

‘2a. The right of free movement laid down in paragraph 1 shall also apply to aliens who hold a valid long-stay visa issued by one of the Member States as provided for in Article 18.’

This last paragraph is important: your D visa is the long-stay visa mentioned there, and it is this paragraph that gives the D visa the same status as a residence permit for the purpose of allowing travel to other Schengen countries.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.