Can you get in to your home country, if your passport is expired? Considering that your country doesn't have other IDs to prove your identity, you don't have time to get issued new passport on embassy in other country (e.g. death of relative) and you are traveling by land (I suppose no airline would let passenger enter the plane without valid ID)?

Is expired passport seen as "minor prove" of your identity, or is it same as you would try enter the country without any ID?

I understand that different countries have different rules, but what is general procedure?

Thank you for your answers

closed as too broad by AakashM, user 56513, Giorgio, Willeke, Michael Hampton Mar 16 '18 at 21:47

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    It depends on the country, for example Polish citizens cannot be denied entry to the country by the Constitution, and the Passport Act specifies that one can be allowed in on an expired passport. However, there will be problems with the carrier, as they would not allow you to board their vessel (bus/plane etc.). – Edmund Dantes Mar 16 '18 at 9:49
  • Concerning the land borders, it will also depend on the country you are exiting. If there is an exit border control, you might not be allowed out of the country w/o valid ID, can be fined, or you will be fined and forced out, as you have no valid ID. – Edmund Dantes Mar 16 '18 at 9:52
  • 1
    I've flagged this as too broad: a full answer would need a large table of country pairs. – user16259 Mar 16 '18 at 9:55
  • @EdmundDantes Thank you, good point about exit border control, didn't think of that. – Tony Danilov Mar 16 '18 at 10:09
  • I agree with @EdmundDantes You may have got bigger problems departing with an expired passport if the airline lets you check-in at all (it wont), than entering your own country. You can also get in trouble even into getting in by land if stopped by police. Last year in a major event, there were borderline controls in the entry points by land to my home country (which have been open borders for years) not allowing anyone in without a valid id, even if they were nationals working abroad (it was all over the news). No valid ID, no entry. – Rui F Ribeiro Mar 16 '18 at 12:08