I have requested for a French long term student visa from a consulate in India. It's a national Type D visa and not a Schengen visa. My question is that can we still go to other Schengen countries on this visa? If not then can we get a Schengen visa from a consulate in France?


Your long stay visa (more than three months) falls under the lawful category for "Stays Exceeding three months":

When you stay in an EU country for a long stay, usually for more than 90 days, you will generally be issued with a long-stay visa and/or a residence permit.

If your long-stay visa or residence permit has been issued by a Schengen area country, you can travel to another Schengen area country for 90 days per 180 day period. You must:

  • justify the purpose of your stay;
  • have sufficient financial resources for your stay and travel back;
  • not be considered a threat to public policy, public security or public health.

You can also pass through other Schengen area countries on the way to your host country.

So on that basis, yes, you can enter the other Schengen states, as long as you follow those time-limited terms.

  • This is one incredibly screwed up regulation, given there are no border checks how on earth are they planning to check who is spending how much time where. It should be free movement but work / study permit only in the country issuing the D visa. – chx Nov 7 '17 at 10:06
  • Since this is a canonical answer I've answered it with up to date regulations. – JonathanReez Nov 17 '17 at 12:28

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.